Please do not distribute this image. Please link to this page if you wish to share. ~! Do not print. Copyright (c) Jemmeh
Edit: Wow. So many views. ;w; Thank you!
I updated the design on the image and changed the link
to this gallery, since the other link has been dead for so long. P:
________________________Anime Eye Reference #2 (Color)
Reference Sheet #1.
To create variety you should experiment, have fun, and study other people's works~! Notes
1. A pretty standard anime girl eye. Notice the eyebrow is thin.
2. A constrastingly more "seductive" eye. Usually there is makeup, a more angular eyebrow, thicker lashes, and the pupil/iris does not reach the bottom lid. Often, they refuse to meet your gaze--so that the impact is more seductive when they do finally meet your gaze. Generally, this would be a woman's eye.
3. A sort of demon eye. Try to use flat colors--it makes it seem less human. Of course, the pupil being weird shapes also helps. Try going for animal looking eyes. Few lashes and a small upper lid add to the non-human effect.
4. Read "OMG WTF AHHH!"
5. I wish my grass were emo so it would cut itself.
Lots of shines here people. Because the water makes it shiny. Break up the tears at the bottom of the eye. Make the person squint a little like they're trying to blink away tears. Usually try to make it as though they're looking down. Sad people generally look down. Eyebrow shape is important here, but it can vary depending on how sad, upset, or happy they are. Crying can be happy, too. But crying happy eyes are usually more open.
6. Side view. Different shape, the pupil is more towards the front of the eye, and it's got a different shape, too. Notice it's not a V shape at the back of the eye. There's still room between the top lid and the bottom.
7. You can use rings around the pupils to add a little style.
Sometimes this can make robot characters.
8. Play around, make crazy "fashion" eyes, or just really stylized, like if you're entire picture has lots of swirls and curls.
9. Another pretty common eye design--there's texture around the iris similar to a real eye.
10. The upsidedown pupil. I most often see this on depressed characters. Naturally depressed, or mostly depressed. I drew it without an eyebrow--because even without a brow it still seems kind of sad.
11. The flat top, kind of angry brow makes for characters who are often angry. You'd think, "they get upset easy". ...
In anime, redheads often have this eye shape--because stereotyping says redheads are firey. FIREY.
12. Kind of an oriental shape. Play with the shape and position of the pupils, you can get some cool results.
13. A lot closer to being more realistic, you'll see it in lots of shojo manga*. Notice how you can almost see the entire outline of the eye, and the pupil looks more like a real pupil. Everything seems to point more towards being real.
* Shojo manga is manga generally directed at girls and women. Good luck! Please let me know what you think! <3